7.01.2010

"D" for "Delgean"

Yesterday I saw Danielle at the church for mutual.  She came up to me and very proudly asked, "Bishop, did you hear?"  I responded, "Hear what?"  She replied, "Delgean tried to speak today."  Danielle went on to tell me about Delgean's humming sounds she was making to her sister Chelsea.  Then, this afternoon I spoke with Ra Jette who informed that just today John, who has been working and trying to hold down the fort in Show Low, called down to the hospital.  After speaking with Ra Jette, he asked to talk to Delgean.  Ra Jette was so happy when she heard Delgean say "hello" back to her dad.  It was a labored "hello," but a "hello" nonetheless!

Also, in working with the therapist, Delgean complied with the request to write the letter "D" for "Delgean."  She then went on to try and write her name.  She wrote the letters on top of each other, but from the motions of the pen, it was clear she was writing her name.  Not satisfied there, she also wrote "mom."

She continues to prefer her chair to her bed.  She is working on standing up and walking.  Tests show that her lungs, throat and vocal chords are doing well.  She even did well on a "swallow test," keeping liquids down and away from going into her lungs.  As I was wrapping up the update from Ra Jette over the phone, in walked several of the young women and young women's leaders from the ward.  They wanted to go and visit Delgean.  Wish I could have been there in person for that great reunion.

Finally, this morning I stopped in on the Show Low Little League All-Star game out in St. Johns.  Levi, in full uniform, came and sat by me for a few minutes in the bleachers.  After he left, several of the parents commented on how great he looked and what a terrific kid he is.  We are so proud of him.

Ra Jette informed she has a few pictures she's going to send to be posted on the blog...so once I get those, you'll get those as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment